ERDOGAN MUST GO NOW

Woman detained along with 40-day-old baby while visiting jailed husband

Zehra Elbir, a former court clerk who was earlier dismissed from her job in the government’s post-coup purge of state institutions, was detained only 40 days after she gave birth to her second child during a visit to her husband in prison.

Eril Elbir, Zehra’s husband and a former police officer who was also dismissed over his alleged links to the Gulen movement, has been under arrest for 9 months.

In yet another example of disproportionate punishment imposed on people targeted in Turkey’s post-coup witch-hunt, Elbir was taken under police custody along with her 40-day-old baby when she showed up at Ankara’s Sincan prison to meet her husband during an open visit on June 16.

It is not the first time that Zehra was detained, media said, adding that she has been taken into custody also another time when police raided a hospital and caught her while she was accompanying the family’s other child.

 

Navy lieutenant detained while fueling up military ship he works at

A 24-year-old lieutenant Y.G. was taken under custody when the navy ship he had been ordered to serve at was docked at a naval base for bunkering, on June 14.

Charged as part of a Bursa-based investigation into the Gulen movement, Y.G. was detained after his ship was docked at Aksaz naval base in Mugla province to get fuel.

Mugla police carried out a search on his room at the ship and seized Y.G.’s telephone and computer.

Wife of veteran who lost hand, eyes in bomb attack under custody over Gülen links

Özlem Konakçı, the wife of former bomb disposal expert Bilal Konakçı, was detained over her alleged links to the Gülen movement.

Bilal was retired from his position at İzmir Police Department after he lost his right hand and both eyes while trying to dispose of a bomb in 2009.

Bilal said police and gendarmerie forces raided their homes at 8 in the morning on June 9 and detained Özlem after a search at the home.

When asked about the reason, police said they had received a complaint from two people that Özlem is linked to the movement, Bilal added.

Former bomb expert also also spent 35 days behind bars over similar accusations before being released on judicial control on Jan 25, 2017.

When I asked him how he meets his needs, Bilal Konakci’s answer was heartbreaking: I have two daughters; one of them is 12 and the other one is 2 years old. We depend on support from neighbors and what the elder daughter could afford. Also, my 70-year-old father and mother, who has one of his arms injured support us.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s